Eat only small and wild-caught fish to avoid mercury poisoning and practice chelation or use detoxification to flush out toxins from your body.
Can Mercury Cause a Heart Attack?
You don’t feel what mercury is doing to your body. It can:
• destroys your nerve cells and invades your heart, bones, and brain.
• It can drop your IQ and cause handicaps like blindness, deafness, and cerebral palsy in your kids.
But symptoms aren’t always apparent.
• You could forget names or have trouble concentrating and paying attention.
• Your reflexes may be slow.
• Or you develop numbness and tingling.
Unfortunately, most doctors don’t know that symptoms like these may mean you have mercury poisoning.
Mercury can make you feel like you’re crazy.
There's one study where half of the subjects exposed to mercury had:
• extreme anxiety and exhibited symptoms of mental illness. The control group had almost no incidents.
• Mercury can also disrupt your immune system to the point where you can’t fight off infections and viruses.
• Many people believe mercury is to blame for autoimmune diseases like Crohn’s disease, Lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis.
• But did you know the mercury from too many fish dinners can also give you a heart attack?
Just this past year, researchers looked at Nordic whaling men, who live on a diet of fish. The scientists discovered a link between the mercury in the fish the men ate and heart disease.
As mercury levels in the men went up, blood pressure and atherosclerosis went up. This study was one more confirmation of what has been suggested for a long time. Mercury can give you cardiovascular disease.
"Skip The Tuna Fish Sandwich"
Yet, there are proven health benefits to eating fish as well…
All fish have quality protein. Lots of vitamins and minerals. And if you eat fatty ocean fish, you get the “fish oil” that’s so important – the omega-3 fatty acids like ecosapentaenoic acid (EPA), dicosahexanoic acid (DHA), and linolenic acid.
• reduce pain and make headaches go away.
• They reduce inflammation and make your brain work better.
• They are great for your cardiovascular system.
• They protect you from heart attack and stroke.
In a review published by the American Heart Association, the eating habits of more than 222,000 individuals were studied for almost 12 years. They concluded that the more fish you eat, the less chance you have of dying from cardiovascular disease.
You are encouraged to take in plenty of omega-3’s. But if you’re getting them mainly from fish, you need to choose carefully and minimize your exposure to mercury.
If you eat even small amounts of shark or swordfish, you’re taking a huge risk. You have a 50% greater chance of having a heart attack just by eating either of these fish.
As a rule of thumb, the bigger the fish, the more mercury. A large fish that’s lived longer has had more time to accumulate high levels of mercury.
Stay away from big fish
Big fish with the greatest risk are:
• King mackerel
But there are far more than four fish available in any fish market. So it’s best to weigh the benefits and the risks when you buy your dinner.
• Tuna, mahi-mahi, and swordfish had levels far above what you should eat. On the other hand, shrimp, scallops, and Atlantic salmon had very low levels.
So, you swear off shark and swordfish… no big deal. But tuna? How about your tuna fish sandwich?
• Both light and white (albacore) canned tuna contain mercury. But albacore has almost four times the amount. Your best bet is to skip the albacore. Light tuna is your best choice. But limit yourself to one meal per week. Even small amounts of mercury can build up rapidly in your body.
This goes for other fish such as lobster, sea bass, or tuna steaks. They present the same risk as canned tuna. Limit them to once a week.
Stick to small and wild-caught fish
But, when you eat fish like:
• herring, and
You’re getting a lot of protection from omega-3’s and relatively low levels of mercury.
Eating more fish like:
• flounder, and
• shrimp can also magnify the benefits of eating fish.
Here’s a short-list of fish that contain higher amounts of omega-3’s and lower levels of mercury: (But take note: even though you see “farmed” next to Atlantic Salmon on the list, it’s not a good idea to eat farm-raised fish. When you eat farm-raised fish, it causes inflammation in your body. That can lead to disease.)
|Fish Species: Omega-3’smg/6 oz: Mercury (ug/g)|
Salmon, Atlantic, farmed: 3,658: 0.014
Herring, Atlantic: 3,4240: .04,
Trout: 1,744: 0.03
Pollack: 922: 0.06
Flounder/Sole: 852: 0.05
Shrimp: 536: 0.01
Tilapia: 240: 0.01
How to Avoid Mercury
Follow these guidelines to keep your mercury levels low:
1) Avoid eating shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish. These large fish contain unacceptable levels of mercury.
2) Eat up to 12 ounces (two 6 oz. servings) per week of fish that are low in mercury, such as salmon, pollock, herring, or light tuna. Or shellfish such as shrimp, oysters, clams, mussels, squid, and scallops.
3) If you eat fish such as largemouth bass or walleye that may have higher levels, eat no more than one 6 oz. meal per month.
4) If you eat fish caught from streams, stick to smaller pan species, such as perch, bluegill, or crappie. Smaller fish don’t have as much time to absorb mercury.
How to Rid Your Body of Mercury Poisoning
To reduce the mercury already in your body, make detox a part of your regular routine. Not only mercury, but other toxic heavy metals accumulate in your body over time.
These poisons include mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium, and aluminum.
But amalgam fillings aren't the only source of these toxic elements. Heavy metals are often used in conventional agriculture and storage. Many fish at the top of the food chain are contaminated with mercury. Some vaccinations contain thimerosal, a mercury preservative. Even second-hand smoke inhalation causes metal buildup in the body.
Avoiding heavy metals is nearly impossible.
The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) says these metals can "build up in biological systems and become a significant health hazard."
So how do you get rid of them?
One option is chelation:
- This therapy introduces chelating agents into the body. The chelating agents bind with the heavy metals, making them water soluble... which allows the body to harmlessly excrete the toxins.
But chelation can be expensive. Fortunately, you don't have to shell out huge sums of money to get the benefits. The "poor man's" version of this therapy is an all-natural alternative for anyone on any budget.
Take Supplements to get rid of toxic
1) Take a good multivitamin and mineral supplement, and eat a high-protein diet during an oral detox. Sulfur-bearing amino acids found in protein help you detox more quickly. Drink plenty of water to flush out toxins.
2) Add detoxifiers such as cilantro and garlic to whatever you cook. Cilantro is great in salad or on salmon. Garlic goes with a variety of dishes.
3) For a more intensive detox, buy chlorella, aged garlic, NAC, MSM, or activated charcoal. You’ll find them at your local vitamin shop. Start with the lowest dose listed below. Gradually build up to a higher dose.
Take these supplements with breakfast, lunch, and dinner:
• Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is a precursor to glutathione, one of the body’s most important antioxidants. Take 1,000 mg twice a day in divided doses.
• NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine):
NAC is a natural sulfur-containing compound found naturally in food. Take 1,000-2,000 mg NAC per day. (You can take NAC along with one of your doses of vitamin C.)
• MSM (Methyl-Sulfonyl-Methane):
MSM is a natural sulfur-containing compound found naturally in food. Take 1,000 mg MSM per day. (You can take MSM along with your other dose of vitamin C.)
Chlorella is algae. C. Pyreneidosa is the form with the best metal absorbing properties. Most people can tolerate high doses of it with great success. Take 1 gram with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can increase the dose to up to 3 grams 3 to 4 times a day.
Use fresh, freeze-dried, or aged garlic for best results. It contains a bioactive form of selenium, which is a potent mercury detoxifier. Start with one capsule or one clove and slowly increase to three capsules or cloves after each meal.
Cilantro is the leaf of the coriander plant. It's known as Chinese parsley.
Japanese researchers studied its effects on lead. They gave mice lead in their drinking water for 32 days. Then they administered Chinese parsley for 25 days (from day seven on).
The conclusion: "Chinese parsley has suppressive activity on lead deposition, probably resulting from the chelation of lead by some substances contained in Chinese parsley."
• Dr. Yoshiaki Omura, who discovered how to use the cilantro leaves to remove heavy metals from the body.
Dr. Omura has a background in both clinical medicine and experimental physics. He's Director of Medical Research at the Heart Disease Foundation in New York. And he's an adjunct professor at the Department of Community and Preventative Medicine at New York Medical College.
Read below how cilantro remove eye infection from his patient:
Dr. Omura was treating several patients with a type of eye infection. He was using a standard antibiotic. Their symptoms would clear up... but they would return within a few months.
Dr. Omura discovered that the organisms causing the infection seemed to be hiding in parts of the body that had high concentrations of heavy metals like mercury, lead, and aluminum. It appeared that the organisms were using the metals to protect themselves from the antibiotics.
Heavy metals are excreted in the urine. So he began testing his patients' urine. And he noticed that the mercury level in one patient's urine increased after he ate a Vietnamese soup.
Upon further testing, he identified an ingredient in the soup – a leaf – that was responsible for this effect. And he noted that it also increased the amount of lead and aluminum excreted through the urine.
Without the heavy metals for protection, the organisms causing the eye infections were no longer able to flourish. When he gave his patients the leaves, along with antibiotics, it eliminated their infections for good.
Dr. Omura had discovered a way to increase the body's ability to fight infection. At the same time, he had accidentally discovered an inexpensive way to rid the body of toxic heavy metals.
A follow-up study involved a patient who'd had three mercury-based amalgam fillings removed. Significant amounts of mercury were found in the patient's lungs, kidneys, liver, and heart. Dr. Omura used the special leaves to remove the mercury. Within a few weeks, the metal was gone.
• Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt is the founder of the American Academy of Neural Therapy. He's Medical Director of the Institute of Neurobiology. He's known around the globe for his work in treating chronic pain and illness. He was named Physician of the Year by the Global Foundation of Integrative Medicine in 2007.
He recommends cilantro to remove mercury from the brain. He found that five grams per day was the minimum dose for chelation. That's about one teaspoon. The treatment should be continued for at least two to three months.
The leaves can also be made into a tea. Chop eight or more teaspoons. Steep, covered, in a quart of boiling water for 20 minutes. But don't do this in a metal container. Remember, cilantro is a powerful chelator. It will leach the metal into the tea.
If you don't like the taste (lots of people don't), cilantro is available in capsules. You can order those online or click on the picture below.
Cilantro is a kitchen herb and one of the best detoxifiers for your central nervous system. It mobilizes so much mercury; it can’t always carry it out of the body fast enough. So use it in combination with chlorella.
Eat organic cilantro, make a pesto, tea, or buy a tincture. Take 2 drops 2 times a day before meals or 30 minutes after taking chlorella. Increase to dose to up to 10 drops three times a day.
• Activated Charcoal:
Activated charcoal is used in every emergency room to treat poison victims. It is safe and effective to use every day.
Powdered charcoal is best. Take 20 grams per day, mixed in a glass of water. If you take it in tablet form, you need up to 280 g per day.
Recommended Herbal Remedies
Promotes natural cleansing, detoxification and toxin elimination"